No two parents are the same, so developing a detailed parenting plan during divorce can be the key to successful co-parenting. If tensions are high, this may be difficult. Here are some tips to developing a Parenting Plan that will work for both parents, and make sure the needs of the children are met.
The Goals of a Parenting Plan
The stability and health of your children is the most important factor to consider when developing a parenting plan. Plans need to be concise and address the needs of the children at their particular stages of development. A good plan will establish time sharing and financial responsibilities and will minimize the negative aspects of the situation on the children. The plan should also be flexible enough to accommodate changes for all involved.
Things to Consider
- Age of the Child. The needs of a toddler will vary from the needs of a teenager. Keep this in mind as you develop a co-parenting schedule.
- School Activities. If you have school-age children, develop a plan that will allow both parents to participate.
- Childcare Concerns. Make sure you agree on childcare and provide contact information for any caregivers.
- Medical Needs. If your child has medical issues, factor those into your plan. Parenting schedules may need to be more flexible to allow for healthcare visits or therapy sessions.
- Work Demands. Be prepared to compromise if your job requires you to travel, or if you have extended work hours.
- Distance Between Homes. If you and your former partner live a considerable distance away, your time sharing will have to reflect this.
A well-thought-out Parenting Plan can save the time wasted in lengthy litigation. It is important that you lean on the experience of a family attorney as you come to an agreement. Rowsey & Stelter can help you draft a plan that will benefit you and your children, and will take the burden off your shoulders. If you need assistance with a Parenting Plan or any other custody issue, call us today at (770) 993-5317 or fill out our online contact form.
Posted on behalf of
295 W Crossville Road,
Building 100, Suite 110,
Roswell, GA 30075
Phone: (770) 993-5317
Monday - Friday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM